What Is Sustainable Norcross?

Do you recycle, compost, xeriscape, use rain barrels? Would you like to learn how? Are you interested in organic and locally grown produce but cannot find it? Do you admire the fabulous tree canopy in Norcross? Ever wondered how to certify your yard as a Wildlife Habitat? Are you concerned about the quantity and quality of our water? Is it better to use paper or plastic bags at the grocery? What natural products are safe but effective? Ever considered sustainable alternatives for flooring, clothing and other products? Where can you discard old electronics?



Well, let’s learn together.



Starting a new organization can be a daunting task. Then an online training manual advised:



"Don’t wait - Get started without funding, expertise, or fear of adverse consequences.



Seek useful resources - Information on the web, in literature, in the community, in person, from experts.



Seek ways to scale up - Transform successful solutions into a movement of local significance.



Have fun projects – enjoy doing. Your efforts can result in important benefits, and you can have a good time while you’re at it!"




And that is exactly what a group of like minded citizens did. The organizational meeting was held June 1, 2008 and we've been busy ever since.



Learn more about us here on our blog or contact us now.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Begin at the Beginning…Or Not!

Frankly, I don’t know where to begin. This is my first blog, but my grandchildren and others are dragging me kicking and screaming into the 21st century. “You can do it! It’s easy. Just say what comes in to your head. Keep it real.” Uh oh, they have no idea what they are in for.

So I’ve finally summoned the courage (or taken leave of my senses) enough to give it a whirl and start a blog about our new grassroots group Sustainable Norcross. Hummm, now where to begin?

My late mother would advise, “Just begin at the beginning.” My late father, being a sometimes journalist would say “Get to the Who, What, When, Where, How, and Why of the matter.” My creative sister would jump right in the middle and talk about the relationships and off beat stuff. She’s the one who travels and never visits the tourist highlights but gets holiday cards from all over. My fiscally conservative accountant brother would counsel that the numbers tell the story. But me, what do I say? Surely I have a little bit of all my family in me.

Well, I say my favorite dining venue is the covered dish supper. You may call it a pot luck dinner or something else. But I cannot resist a little taste of everything, especially when each cook has prepared their specialty to share. And based on my age, and the sage advice of those who arrived ahead of me, I may even go for the dessert first!

So let me share something sweet with you. This whole sustainable city thing is really taking off! I have been pleasantly surprised at the number and quality of volunteers who have given so much, the service projects completed and the warm reception of our municipal government, neighbors and even strangers. It is thrilling and down right inspirational to discover so many like minded people, capable and energetic, enthusiastic and knowledgeable, generous and focused; people who get things done and share the vision of preserving our future by living smarter today. People like you.

And it has all happened in really short order. But rest assured there is plenty more on the menu. Join me here from time to time or check out
www.sustainablenorcross.org. Together these e-tools will give you a good glimpse into our sweet beginnings and the flavor of things to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment